Friday, February 27, 2015

My Scrap Room Start to Finish (Part 1) Setting the Mood and Furnishing My Space Without Breaking the Budget

Hey Goodtimers! Jennifer here! Hope you are all staying warm! All this cold, snowy weather is the perfect time to work on getting all of those fabulous scrapbooking supplies of yours organized! I'm currently working on a brand new scrap room, and would like to spend my next several blog posts sharing my decorating & organizing journey with you! 


After several weeks of obsessing, I settled on this clean, not too dark or bright, "Tiffany-esque" blue-green color. I wanted to set a happy, yet calming mood for the room. I find it is important for my craft space to have a certain feel about it.  It needs to be happy, but not so bright & busy as to compete with my projects and clutter my thought process. 

Are you like me? Have you noticed that when you sit down to create, it's easier to get in the zone if your environment is "just right"? It definitely makes a difference in my mood and thought process. So, in keeping with this clean idea, I chose to go with primarily white furniture. 

This is where I'd like to point out that you don't have to break the bank to achieve the look you want. Now, if you have the budget to go buy new furniture... AWESOMENESS!! But, the fact is for a lot of crafters, our hobbies can't always come first in that department. And... since we are renting, I didn't want to spend a fortune customizing a temporary room.  I also did not want the modular craft storage/furnishings offerings of the big chain craft retailers.  They just don't appeal to me personally. So, I purchased some used kitchen cabinets and a used IKEA counter top/workspace online for $40! 😊 Now, mind you, I'm not quite done painting them, but here ya go! 


Nine storage drawers and 24 square feet of workspace with all of my electronic tools within easy reach! I can do everything from photo editing/printing to finishing the final product right here. The drawer sizes work really well for organizing my supplies. The shallow drawers up higher make it easy to access my frequently used supplies quickly, while the larger drawers down lower are great for the bulkier items I don't use as frequently like stamps (which I store in binders) and my software, digital photo storage, etc.  It just so happens that the Sticker Stadium I use to organize my Project Life cards fits nicely into one of the larger drawers too. The organizer lifts out easily for use and/or travel.  


You may have noted my Stickles organization in one of my shallow drawers.  The "Dazzle Caddy" Stickles storage is definitely one of my favorite organization products. 
The Stickles is stored upside down for easier flow and to prevent air bubbles. Ya gotta get these!! Really. NO. REALLY. Susie usually has these in stock at the store. That is, unless I've cleaned her out again. LOL.


And now for my favorite piece. (Still a work in progress). This dresser was a RIDICULOUSLY HOT MESS when I got it! It was the ugliest, paper-laminated, pressboard disaster I've ever seen. I can't even begin to tell you... **cringe** 😖 BUT... It was FREE! A little sand paper, paint and just a few hours of work later, I love it!! 


The drawers that went in the bottom were in need of repair, so I just tossed them and am converting the two bottom spaces into shelving to hold my 12x12 scrapbooks.  The top three drawers currently house my paper scraps, die cutting mats/cartridges/tools and new mini albums for future projects.  

I hope this has inspired you to roll up your sleeves and get to work in that scrap space of yours! I can't wait to share more of my journey with you! Watch my next posts for embellishment organization and pics of the 6 foot tall "Clip It Up" organizer I built for my room.



5 comments:

Catharine Cobbs said...

I love the idea of re-purposing old furniture pieces. I love the room, You did a FANTASTIC job.

Melissa said...

The room is looking great Jennifer! I like the idea of creating a shelf for albums in the old dresser.

Sandy Trefger said...

Your room and re-purposed furniture look great, Jennifer! Love so many of your organization ideas!


~Sandy
Sandy’s Crafty Creations Blog

Wayne Jennifer Jacobs said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jennifer Jacobs said...

Thanks ladies! I'm having a ton of fun getting it all set up!